Monitoring Legislative Activities for Members
The MPMA's Government Relations Committee is responsible for:
- Monitoring legislative activities that impact members.
- Notifying members through legislative updates in the e-newsletter and via email.
Members of this committee are involved with the Manufacturing Coalition, the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, the National Tooling and Machining Association/Precision Metalforming Association (NTMA/PMA) “One Voice” initiative, and other grassroots lobbying opportunities.
MPMA members are encouraged to get involved in issue that are important to their businesses and the manufacturing industry as a whole.
MPMA's 2019 Legislative Priorities
Strengthen Minnesota’s Skilled Workforce
Attracting and developing skilled talent are key strategies for growing manufacturing in Minnesota. However, the current workforce shortage is limiting manufacturers’ ability to keep up with current production demand and take advantage of new opportunities. And more effort is needed to train the next generation of skilled workers.
The Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association supports the following reforms to strengthen Minnesota’s skilled manufacturing workforce.
- Build on the success of the Youth Skills Training Program by: 1) expanding grant capacity to additional local partnerships training high school students for manufacturing careers; and 2) modernizing rules about equipment usage for student learners.
- Allow more flexibility in funding so school districts, technical colleges, and employers can expand technical education and employer-led training programs.
- Strengthen dual-credit and dual-training options for technical students to help bridge high school and post-secondary technical education training.
- Establish a leveraged equipment program to provide modern equipment and facilities for high school technical education classes.
- Continue expanding proven public-private programs like the Workforce Development Scholarship program and the PIPELINE Project to provide more students access to technical education and skills training.
Strengthen Minnesota’s Manufacturing Economy
Minnesota must reform state tax laws and regulations to maximize economic growth for Minnesota manufacturers. A healthy tax climate will help manufacturers stay here and expand here.
The Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association supports the following reforms to strengthen Minnesota’s economy:
- Reduction of income taxes for companies paying the top rate of taxes through the individual income tax “pass-through” system (i.e. S Corps, sole proprietorships, LLCs, and partnerships).
- Update Section 179 expensing to confirm with Federal tax law to create greater opportunities for property and equipment investments.
- Expansion of Research and Development tax credits to encourage innovation and investment in Minnesota businesses.
How to Reach Your Elected Representatives
- Find out who represents you and/or your company. Type your home or business address here. Visit your representatives’ web page to view their phone and email address to contact them directly and sign up for their email updates.
- Ask your legislator when he or she plans to hold a Town Hall meeting near you. Plan to attend to meet him or her in person.
- Subscribe to and respond to action alerts from the Minnesota Chamber, MPMA, One Voice (collaborative effort of NTMA and PMA), and other advocacy groups working on your behalf.
- Do your homework; view voting records for members of the Minnesota Legislature here and members of Congress here.
- Reach out to your legislators directly by phone or email to inform them how a certain piece of legislation would help or hurt your business.
- Write a letter to the editor supporting or opposing a particular issue and share it with your legislators.
- Offer to host one or more of your legislators on a tour of your shop.
> Click here for the printed handout.